Bridal bouquets come in all sorts of styles, shapes and sizes. One of the most popular styles of bridal bouquets is the hand-tied bouquet. Below are some simple directions on how to create your hand-tied bouquet with do-it-yourself (DIY) wedding flowers:
1. Remove the thorns and foliage from the roses. To remove the thorns, simply take clippers and trim off the points on the thorns
2. Select 3 large roses and tape them together - these will be the center of your bouquet.
3. Add another 3 or 4 roses to the bouquet and tape them to your original grouping.
4. If you choose to incorporate fillers and greens into your bouquet, add them to the mix as you see fit.
5. Continue to add roses 3 or 4 at a time and tape them together. Taping the roses after adding 3 or 4 stems will ensure that your bouquet stays nice and tight.
6. Once you have built your bouquet to the size you would like, secure the bouquet by wrapping another layer of tape down the stems about 6 or 8 inches.
7. Wrap the ribbon beginning at the top of the bouquet down towards the bottom.
8. Leave the ends of the ribbon long if you would like them to cascade off the bottom of the bouquet.
9. With a sharp knife or clippers, trim the bottom of the stems a little bit up from the bottom - leaving the stems longer than you will need them - and set the bouquet in a vase or pitcher of water.
10. If your ribbon has loose ends, rubber band them up the stems to keep them out of the water.
11. Fill the vase with just enough water to cover the bottom of the stems - do not get your tape or ribbon wet.
12. Shortly before the festivities begin, clip the stems to the length you want with a sharp knife or clippers and wipe the bottom of the stems with a towel to catch any drips that might be there.
- Be sure to store your fresh cut flowers in a cool environment. When working with fresh cut flowers - and especially roses - it is very important to remember that the cooler the temperature, the slower the flowers will open and the longer they will last.
- Wherever possible, practice first. Purchase some flowers from your local florist or grocery store and familiarize yourself with this process so that it isn't foreign to you as you prepare your wedding flowers.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions as you plan for or work with your wedding flowers.